The IRS requires churches to report wage and salary information for employees on Form W-2. Your W-2 also reports the amount of your housing, federal, and state withholdings. As a non-clergy or clergy employee, the information on your W-2 is extremely important when preparing your tax return. To insure you have it in time, the IRS requires your church to send you a W-2 no later than January 31 following the close of the tax year, which is usually December 31.

You should only receive one W-2 from each church if you are a clergy employee. If you were ordained, licensed, or commissioned during the year, and employed by the same church, you will receive two W2 forms; one for non-clergy income and one for clergy income. If you are an independent contractor, you will receive an earnings statement on a Form 1099 rather than a W-2.

You can now confirm your W2 calculations for all clergy employees with the link below.

Understanding all of the clergy rules associated with W-2 reporting can be confusing, but we’re here to help. Clergy Financial Resources has full-time experts dedicated to understanding W-2 reporting compliance.

For most churches, the mere thought of year-end reporting can cause headaches. You have to do it every year, and it consumes valuable time that you just don’t have to spare. Figuring out which form you need to file, tracking the changing regulation, and filing all takes time.

Clergy Financial Resources is here to simplify the process of W2 & 1099 reporting. Discover how we can save you time on payroll, so you can focus on your ministry. 

Leave the W-2 filing to Clergy Financial Resources with the the link below.



<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here