The Self-Employment Taxes that most members of the Clergy must pay quarterly are actually made up of two different taxes:

  • Old-age, survivors and disability insurance (also known as “OASDI” or the more commonly used term “Social Security”)
  • Medicare taxes

OASDI taxes are calculated as 12.4% of your income. The maximum wage limit on OASDI is $132,900 in 2019, meaning that you will not need to pay OASDI tax on wages you earn over $132,900.

Medicare taxes are calculated at 2.9% of your income. There is no wage limit to this, meaning that you will have to pay it on all wages you earn.

For most Clergy, this means they will pay a total of 15.3% of their self-employed wages to the government for self-employment taxes. Those who earn over $132,900 in 2019 will pay 15.3% on wages up to $132,900, and then 2.9% on everything over that.

If you need assistance calculating your estimated self-employment tax payments, Clergy Financial is here to help. Estimated tax payment calculations are included when you hire Clergy Financial to complete your 1040 return. Visit our website at for more information.

<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here