Due to the sensitive nature of your data, cybercriminals increasingly target the financial data. Thieves use a variety of tactics, from remote computer takeovers to phishing scams.
Identity thieves are a formidable enemy. Data breaches are increasing in number and scope. Thieves often use the stolen identity information to file tax returns. As a tax preparer, you play a critical role in protecting your data.
Here are a few critical steps:
- Secure Data. Make sure that your data, including data left on hardware and media, is never left unsecured; use security software on all digital devices.
- Shred Documents and Destroy Media. Securely dispose of your information.
- Use Strong Passwords. Require strong passwords (numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase) on all computers, programs and Wi-Fi.
- Change Passwords. Require periodic password changes every 60 – 90 days.
- Safely Store Data. Store your data in secure systems and encrypt information when transmitting across networks.
- Encrypt Email. Encrypt e-mail that contains your data.
Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.
This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.
For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.
Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Tel: (888) 421-0101
Fax: (888) 876-5101