The Housing Allowance is one of the best tax benefits currently available to clergy today. Clergy can use a housing allowance to exempt a portion of their wages from income taxes. This can be done from wages or from deferred wages that were placed into a 403(b) denominational pension.

When you retire, you may be tempted to consolidate your various investments into a single account. Be careful, though. If you rollover your 403(b) account into a non-denominational pension, you will actually lose the ability to use the housing allowance on those funds. Keep the funds in your 403(b) account to continue to be able to use them income-tax-free.

<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here