Churches normally hire an interim minister for the time between the departure of a pastor and the calling of a new pastor or a “sabbatical interim pastor” when a pastor is granted sabbatical leave. Full-time, interim ministers are usually paid on the same scale as other fulltime
clergy. For part-time service, the percentage of time served dictates the percent of full-time salary in addition to benefits and expenses.

You can only claim one residence for the housing allowance. The residence you claim is dependent on how long the interim assignment lasts.

  • If the interim position is expected to last for more than one year (even one day longer), the interim residence will be considered the primary residence for tax purposes from the first day in the position.
  • The housing allowance will then be based solely on housing costs at the new location and “out-of-town” living expenses will not be eligible for business expense reimbursement.
  • If the interim position continues for one year or less, then the original home continues to be the primary residence for housing allowance purposes.

Reimbursement for professional expenses should follow the IRS
guidelines of an Accountable Expense Reimbursement Plan.
Reimbursement for travel should be based on a monthly voucher of
total miles traveled. Because interims often commute a long distance from home, this mileage should be reimbursed, even though commuting miles may not be exempt from income tax and should be reported as taxable income. However, if the call is for one day less than one year, IRS considers the work “temporary” and the
commuting miles are not considered as taxable income.

Other business expenses, including phone calls should also be
reimbursed or paid directly as part of an Accountable Expense
Reimbursement Plan.

<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here