Each person of a clergy couple is entitled to the same housing
allowance ordinarily provided a pastor who is not married to a pastor. Both pastors in a clergy couple are to receive a housing allowance.  When cash housing allowances are provided, the contributions for each pastor are based on the total of base compensation plus housing allowance(s).

This guidance relating to Clergy Couple Housing is offered to assist congregations and clergy couples at arriving at an equitable solution to compensation for both parties of a clergy couple and the congregation or congregations involved. Individual circumstances relating to Clergy Couple Housing Allowance will vary from time to time.



<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101
Email: clientservices@clergyfinancial.com