For those who do not have a reimbursement plan for mileage, or for those who have some mileage that they pay for out of pocket, here are some quick tips about claiming mileage as a deduction:

  1. You cannot deduct normal commuting expenses to and from your main church/regular place of work.
  2. If you make a ministry-related stop during your commute, the mileage to that second location can be deductible, even though the commute is not.
  3. You can deduct travel expenses and mileage to any temporary or short-term work location. If you do not have a regular place of business (like a travelling minister), then you can only deduct transportation expenses to temporary locations outside your home metropolitan area.
  4. If you are serving two churches, the mileage to drive between these two locations is deductible.
  5. You must keep a mileage log in order to claim any deduction for any unreimbursed mileage.

Clergy Financial Resources reviews mileage deductions as part of the 1040 filing process. If you would like CFR to prepare your 1040 return, visit our website at for more details.

<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here