The April 15th 1040 deadline is almost here. If your return is not yet filed, you should consider filing an extension.

IRS allows taxpayers to file for an automatically approved 6-month extension to October 15th if they need more time to file their 1040 tax return. No reason for the extension request is necessary- as long as you submit the request by April 15th, it will be automatically approved. The form for requesting an extension can be found at

For Clergy Financial clients, Clergy Financial Resources has an easy option for filing your extension. You can submit your extension request by going to and clicking the link “Submit your 2018 Tax Return Extension Request”. Once this information is submitted, we’ll file your extension and send you an email confirmation on April 15, 2019.

If you’d rather mail your extension directly to the IRS, simply complete and print form 4868 and send it to the IRS address for your state. Make sure it is postmarked by April 15, 2019.

If you don’t file your 1040 tax return by April 15th and also do not file an extension, you could receive late-filing penalties. Any penalties are based upon the amount of unpaid taxes.

<  Back

Clergy Financial Resources serves as a resource for clients to help analyze the complexity of clergy tax law, church payroll & HR issues. Our professionals are committed to helping clients stay informed about tax news, developments and trends in various specialty areas.

This article is intended to provide readers with guidance in tax matters. The article does not constitute, and should not be treated as professional advice regarding the use of any particular tax technique. Every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information. Clergy Financial Resources and the author do not assume responsibility for any individual’s reliance upon the information provided in the article. Readers should independently verify all information before applying it to a particular fact situation, and should independently determine the impact of any particular tax planning technique. If you are seeking legal advice, you are encouraged to consult an attorney.

For more information or if you need additional assistance, please use the contact information below.

Clergy Financial Resources
11214 86th Avenue N.
Maple Grove, MN 55369

Tel: (888) 421-0101 
Fax: (888) 876-5101


Complete the request form and a clergy tax, payroll or HR advisor will contact you

Click Here